About Us

The Lilongwe City Council was established under the Local Government Act No. 42 of 1998 as a body corporate. The Council comprises the Political and Administrative arms which both derive their authority from the Local Government Act of 1998. The Political  arm is led by the Mayor who is an elected councillor. The mayor is in charge of 27 Wards each overseen by an elected Councillor.  In addition, there are four (4) elected Members of Parliament who represent the Lilongwe urban sector. There are also five (5)  ex-official members representing interest groups. The Administrative arm of Lilongwe City Council is led by the Chief Executive Officer who oversees nine (9) technical departments and devolved sectors, including Commerce & Trade, Engineering, Education, Youth & Sports Sector, Parks & Recreation, Health and Social Welfare Services, Planning & Development and Finance.

Contact Info


Frequent Asked Questions

  • Ground rent is an annual payment for land payable to the landlord such as Lilongwe City Council, Malawi Housing or Ministry of Lands. City rates are a property tax levied on property (land and improvements on land) twice a year (January and June)

  • City rates are the main source of income to Lilongwe City Council for it to operate and to deliver municipal services.

  • Funding for municipal services comes largely from locally generated revenue including city rates and the more people pay city rates the better municipal services will become. This is why the City Council is working to ensure that every property owner in the City pays city rates.
  • A planning permit takes a period of maximum 30 days to process. If for any reason it will not be possible to process a permit during this period, the City Council will write to the applicant explaining the reason(s) why it cannot be processed within 30 days.

  • This is dependent on the type and size of the development. The Council has a schedule of payments that is open to the public to access. Click Here to get access
  • Any development within the city regardless of the location is subjected to a planning permit.
  • Any Malawian living on City Council land can apply to the City Council to be regularised (formalised) and obtain lease documents.

Do You Have More Questions?

Lilongwe City Council

Subscribe Newsletter

Sign up for our latest news & articles. We won’t give you spam mails.

© 2020 Lilongwe City Council. All Rights Reserved